Pages

Tuesday 15 February 2011

~ Petticoat Lane Market~

Located in East London, Petticoat Lane is primarily a fashion and clothing market.  It is one of the oldest surviving in Britain.  Established in the 17th century, it was the center of the garment industry, (rag trade).  Several Flemish weavers homes still remain. The area was known as a tenterground, used to hang and dry new fabric that had been dyed and fulled.  I was a little disappointed.  It was kind of trashy, somewhat suspicious, but none-the-less an experience, for sure!  There were many shops selling beautiful fabrics.  The bold, beautiful African prints really caught my eye.  A woman was purchasing LOTS so I asked if she was a seamstress.  Her plans were to send it back home for her family to make clothes.  I shall learn to sew in my next life.
Food at Petticoat:  Mixed pepper hand rolls, lamb and spice rolls.  A delish "Sweet Shop"
Then we found a very cool bar and stopped for a brief rest.
Don't know the guy,  just like the mural.
Tower of London Bridge

St. Katherine Docks
We went to "Adventure Bar" in the evening.  And it was indeed!
Kevin made some new buds!

The bartenders were entertaining!

Of course it's always more fun when you pretend it's your birthday!!!
*Sunday we had a certificate for a lovely 3 course dinner (to celebrate my un-birthday) at a great little French restaurant, Truc Vert.  It was so yum and beautifully presented!  I had full intentions on photographing each course but I was very hungry and was enjoying it much  too much!  Here is a sample of the desert though!
~ Chocolate fondant w/homemade strawberry ice cream
~Blueberry cheesecake for Kev
*Cheers to another fun-filled, lots of laughs, busy weekend!
Wait until you see what's in store for next week...dum.dum.dum...

1 comment:

  1. If only I knew what kinds of fabrics you would see, I would have had you get me some. I'm not too skilled, but I can sew pretty well. Claire's the real expert. :)
    I'm glad you guys are having such fun!

    ReplyDelete