Pages

Friday 10 December 2010

Royalty and Riots...Quite an unlikely combo.

I thought yesterday would be a nice day for a long walk to Buckingham Palace.  The sun was up, the sky was blue, it's beautiful (this really reminds me of a song) and so are you, Dear Students... I hit the pavement... 
About half way there, approaching Trafalgar Square, I noticed there was much less traffic, in fact there were NO cars at all! I thought, hmm... maybe a nice Christmas parade is about to begin. That's the only reason I would know to clear the streets. I asked a police officer what was going on and he replied in his proper English accent, "stupid students".  He proceeded to tell me that tens of thousands of students travelled by coach from all over the country to protest against tuition fee increases and education cuts.  He told me to be very careful as last time they protested, it got real ugly and a riot broke out.  I was a bit nervous, yet intrigued.  I've never in all my life witnessed a protest and was unaware of the magnitude of this particular one!  I was about to be apart of the biggest mass demonstration by students so far!   As I continued toward Her Majesty, The Queen's not-so-humble abode, I heard the students marching and chanting across the bridge.  As I turned the corner I saw dozens of riot police waiting and preparing for the angry mob.  As they were passing, I was no longer feeling all that brave so I tucked into a coffee shop to seek refuge!  Although once I felt safe again I jumped out onto the sidewalk to snap a few pictures for you!

                               The leader shouting, "EDUCATION IS MY SHIELD"


Hell no, we won't go.
Without incident I continued on my once peaceful jaunty tour to the Palace.  Coming upon St. James Park on Regent Street was simply jaw dropping!  The entire area was spotless.  I saw several "Royal Landscaping" trucks manicuring the area and then understood why they were so pristine.  I saw the guards (whom I so lovingly refer to as The Wizard of Oz Guards).   I did meet a Royal Security Guard and asked her if she had ever been asked in for tea and she said, "no, I wish, I'm quite frigid."  Wow!  Heartless Queen.  I was hoping to get a glimpse of her but apparently she was on her Royal Walkabout. Here are some beautiful photos of the Palace.

                                               OH WEE OH....THE OLD ONE..

I went into the gift shop (sorry, Royal Gift Shop) for warmth and to rest up for my journey back home. Purchased some overpriced (I suppose) Royal Biscuits.  A very nice Royal Shoplady took a picture of me by the Royal Christmas Tree, adorned with ONLY crowns.


Don't anyone judge my new hair in this photo, I had just been wrangled in a riot.  Thanks.

I thought it was an eventful day at that point but NOOOO it was about to pick up again!The gang was making their way back to join forces!  I thought I was out of the woods but was intercepted by them on my way back.   Again, into the coffee shop.  It appeared that they were all drinking by now and even louder and more angry.  The media was abuzz with planes and helicopters filming the whole ordeal.  I think they were getting fueled by all of the attention!  When I saw an opening I dashed to safety from the coffee shop. 
Off they went, off I ran...wee wee wee, all the way home.
I am relieved to be posting this experience.  Even happier to say that I lived to tell about it.

UPDATE

Camilla and Prince Charles were on their way to the theatre for a charity event when the irate pack of students rushed their Rolls, cracked their window and poked Camilla with a stick.  Other than that and a few other scuffles about town,  the protest was a rather peaceful one!  FYI:  I had just left Regent Street (scene of the incident) when this unfolded.  I could have protected the Duchess of Cornwall.  DAMN.  That would have definitely gotten me an invite for tea.

Student tuition will still be increased by about 3 times more than what they used to pay.  Bringing the price of education to about 3 to 9 thousand pounds per year. 

4 comments:

  1. LOLLTIHIY!! (translation: laughing out loud louder than I have in years!!) My dear Twisted Sister, only you would have this experience. You'd better hurry & publish this whole 'blog thing' when you get home. It's going to be a best seller & you have to begin your book tour by going on OPRAH (I'm coming too, 'cause I'm going to be your agent ;)!) before her show ends next year! Love you, miss you...jas xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. Your hair looks great...but not as short as I expected~love the color, too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.p.s...Did you slip one of those fabulous crowns off the tree & slip it in your bag for me??? LOL, again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Judy, I did not steal a royal crown ornament. I would have been Royally Screwed.

    ReplyDelete